This book is intended for presenting the basic concepts of Finite Element Analysis applied
to several engineering applications.
1. Covers several modules of elasticity, heat conduction, eigenvalue and fluid flow
analysis which are necessary for a student of Mechanical Engineering.
2. Finite Element formulations have been presented using both global and natural
coordinates. It is important for providing smooth transition from formulation in global
coordinates to natural coordinates.
3. Special focus has been given to heat conduction problems and fluid flows which are not
sufficiently discussed in other textbooks.
4. Important factors affecting the formulation have been included as Miscellaneous
5. Several examples have been worked out in order to highlight the applications of Finite
G. Ramamurty is former Professor of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osmania
University, Hyderabad. He obtained B.E. (Mech.) and M.E. (Machine Design) degrees
from Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, and Ph.D. (Mech. Engg.) in the area of Heat
Transfer from Osmania University, Hyderabad. He had nine years of industrial experience
before entering into the teaching profession and has been teaching for the last twenty-nine
years. He has taught several subjects covering different areas, which include Design, Heat
Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Robotics and, in particular, Finite Element Analysis. His research
areas of interest include Heat Transfer, Vibrations, Robotics and Composite Materials. He
has several publications to his credit in national and international journals. He has also
taught as a Professor in M.J. College of Engineering, Hyderabad for a brief period.