Beginning T-SQL 2012 is the first step toward learning the T-SQL language that underlies Microsoft’s SQL Server database engine. T-SQL is essential in writing SQL statements to get data into and out of a database. T-SQL is the foundation for business logic embedded in the database in the form of stored procedures and functions. Beginning T-SQL 2012 starts you on the path to mastering T-SQL, with an emphasis on best practices and sound coding techniques.
What you’ll learn
- The fundamentals of relational theory, upon which Transact-SQL is based
- How to write accurate queries that are scalable and perform well
- How to combine set-based and procedural processing, obtaining the best from both worlds
- How to embed business logic in your database through stored procedures and functions
- How to simplify your work with new and advanced features, such as common table expressions and virtual tables
- How to enhance performance by knowing when to apply features such table value parameters, and when not to
Scott Shaw went from a starving literature major to a well-fed but sleep-deprived IT professional. After filling a wall with certifications ranging from Oracle to Microsoft server, he found his niche in SQL Server. Scott has more than 12 years of experience working in information technology, and now spends his days and nights managing hundreds of virtual SQL servers for a large Midwest healthcare organization while writing articles and presenting speeches for the always-generous SQL community. Scott lives in Saint Louis, Missouri with his wife and two children. He has a master of arts degree in English and comparative literature and a master of science degree in management information systems. Scott has taught classes in T-SQL for Washington University’s CAIT program and present topics for SQLSaturday.
Kathi Kellenberger is a Sr. Consultant with Pragmatic Works. She enjoys writing and speaking on SQL Server topics, having written over two dozen articles, contributed to four books, and presented at many SQL Server events. In her spare time, Kathi enjoys spending time with family and friends, singing and cycling.